Friday, May 1, 2009

"Memories Of Thailand" Acrylic painting

For Sale By the Artist
Copyright Reserved By The Artist
Acrylic painting on canvas
6 x 6
I just love the afternoon sun as it shines in through my living room window. The brilliance of the sun casts long dark shadows along the walls and floors. In this piece, the sun plays across a mask and a set of prints I had brought back from a trip to Thailand. I started this piece by priming the canvas in black acrylic paint. This allows the colors to pop off the canvas and create that bright mid afternoon sun. Due to the thickness of the canvas frame I was able to paint a design around the edging of the canvas. I used a gold paint because in the pictures hung around the mask there are gold paint pictures on black fabric.
*
I have been a follower of the Daily Painters Art Gallery for a long time now. One painter on there inspired me to paint this way today. His name is Edward B. Gordon. He too captures stark lighting on figures and various subject matters. He also paints in small format but uses bold colors and brush strokes. If you get the chance check him out. You won't be disappointed.
*
I have a very wide collection of objects from various countries that I have collected over the years on my travels around the world. I just fell in love with this mask when I was in Phuket Thailand. The craftsmanship is top notch. The elongated face is not something you see in a lot of masks from that region. The beautiful color of the wood and the decorative painting on the face makes it a magnificent piece. Hung in frames around the mask are hand painted gold pictures done on fabric also from Thailand.
$100.00 + $15.00 S+H